Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wedding Plans


I had been holding off on the wedding plans while I navigated my last semester of college, but now that it's summer I need to kick my inner wedding planner into high gear. It's funny that I used to think I wanted to be a wedding planner when I grew up - I blame that on a Jennifer Lopez movie I loved. Of course, when I was hooked on the Gilmore Girls, I thought I would some day start my own Bed & Breakfast. So impressionable... :) 

Right about now I would give my left arm for my own wedding planner. All I want is to tell somebody my vision and have them put together a masterpiece- without breaking the bank of course. This summer I will teach myself how to be crafty. My hope is that with the help of the internet and my bridesmaids, I can have a DIY (do it yourself) wedding that is charming, fun, and costs a fraction of what a typical American wedding would cost. 

 I just about had a heart attack when I read in my first bridal magazine that the average American wedding costs $25,000! It's no wonder too, since as soon as you say the word "wedding" vendors seem to jack their prices up to the ceiling. (See video below) What if instead of trying to suck every last cent out of an engaged couple and their parents, vendors lowered their prices for wedding services as a good will gift for couples starting off on their own... I can dream! 

 
(video has some light bad language)

Anyways, so now for my list of wedding tasks accomplished:

Colors picked: Navy Blue and Gold to match David's Army dress uniform
Locations set: My home church and a nearby Rod and Gun Club (rustic but it has character)
Wedding dress bought and hanging in my room! (squeal!!!)
Save the Date magnets sent
Invitations ordered (saved a bundle by making my own and having them printed by Staples for me to assemble)
Tuxes picked
Bridesmaid dresses almost all purchased
My wedding band purchased and his in the process
Verses and songs chosen
Organist found
Marriage counseling - has been underway for a few months. Dave and I are going through a devotional book and work book over video chat in the evenings. 

Now just a gazillion more details to hammer out. The biggest concern I have right now is the food, which we are hoping to do ourselves, and trying to decide if we should hire a DJ. 

It is overwhelming at times, but feels nice to list the things accomplished so that I have more confidence in moving forward with the rest of the To Do list.