Thursday, May 24, 2012

Love Birds





What do cardinals, penguins, swans, and turtle doves have in common with David and I? We all will have one "mate" for life :) Today marks 100 days until I become Mrs. Berry!  It's interesting that if you look up a list of animals that mate for life, most of them are birds! That gives a whole new meaning to the term "love birds". Not only that, but Dave started calling me "Little Bird" our first week of dating because I always have little "bird snacks" to nibble on. 


Here's a bit of bird trivia for you straight from the blog I wrote when I was in Africa:
The Africa Weaver Bird:
"One very cool thing that I learned today was about the "Weaver Bird". These birds mate for life. The male bird skillfully crafts a nest that hangs from the trees. When he is finished the female inspects it. If she doesn't like it, the guy has to build another one again from scratch. Once the female is satisfied, the two mate. These birds mate for life and remain in the same 1km around their nest. If one dies, the other does not find a new mate. I think that this species of bird is incredibly sweet, and human men might like follow their example. ;) " 
source: http://kendallinafrica.blogspot.com/2010/02/safari-wednesday.html

Little did I know that two years later I would be able to identify with that female Weaver Bird. My fiance, David, is already down in Alabama getting his apartment ready for me to join him. I helped him pick the place - a cute little apartment in a wooded area that reminds me of camp. It's got an open layout, vaulted ceiling, a little laundry room with a washer/dryer, and access to a swimming pool - just about everything this happy little bird could want in our first home. David has been "building the nest" for a few months; sending pictures of different things like sheets and towels and asking if I liked them before buying. Of course, when I visit, I completely approve of everything he has done to make it more homey. I can't wait to get down there! 100 days feels like forever!

image: http://livedotdotdot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SouthAfricaWeaverInvestigation.jpg