Friday, May 18, 2012

Memories from Graduation Day - May 12th 2012


Graduation Day was incredibly special. Four years of studying at a small Christian liberal arts college for a bachelors degree in social work were at an end.  $150,000 later, I finally got what I earned with blood, sweat and literal tears - an empty diploma case that will house my degree after I pay off a few last minute fees to the school ( like that parking ticket I was too busy to appeal). It was beautiful weather for a Commencement ceremony- would you expect any less when the entire campus, family and friends were praying for good weather? 

I don't think I will ever forget the feeling of walking in a long line through campus, over the covered bridge, and past our professors and parents. That feeling of accomplishment really puffs you up inside. We made it through the service with the sweltering hot sun beating down on us - thank goodness for the water bottles placed under our seats and the brief but interesting commencement speaker. Then we got to watch our friends and our peers walk across the stage and enter the "real world". 

After the ceremony I met my family and friends down by the iconic covered bridge to take pictures (a week later I am still being tagged in the same exact pictures taken by the many different cameras present). The hardest part of the day was hugging some of my best friends and saying our "good byes". Thankfully many of us will be living in the same area of south-central Pennsylvania, because I don't know what I would do if I couldn't see some of these ladies again! 

I had a picnic lunch with my family and soon-to-be in-laws, and then finished moving out of my apartment. My family then drove caravan style back to our home in Massachusetts, arriving at 1am. 

College is over, and I have now officially started my adult life.