Sunday, May 20, 2012

Home

In college I learned that since "home is where your heart is", "home" is rarely just one place.

I still remember that confusion I felt the first time I visited my parents freshman year, and feeling like a visitor at my own house. Soon I had to become more detailed, saying "I'm heading home to Massachusetts" or "I'm on my way home to school".

Then I studied in Africa. Heading back to Uganda after a month in Rwanda felt like returning home. Even back in the States I will catch an interesting scent in the wind and thinking wistfully of my memories of Africa.

Interestingly, when I was in Africa, I would close my eyes and picture myself at the summer camp that has been part of my life since middle school. Just sitting down by the water next to a campfire brings me complete and utter contentment.

 Grandma's house is always a home away from home. When all the cousins get there for our summer reunion, we pick right back up where we left off, not missing a beat.

Then there's my church home - how comforting to hear wonderful messages while sitting with a congregation of people that have watched you grow up!

I've had two amazing social work internships where I have felt completely "at home" in the office - and I am so grateful for the people I met that help shape the social worker I have become.

Of course, now that I am engaged, I have even more "homes". I visited David's parents almost every weekend this last year of college. I felt so blessed to have the opportunity to get to know and love my in-laws - I know not everyone is so lucky.

And last, but certainly not least, in 104 days I will be getting married and starting a life  and home with David. Leaving his place today was incredibly hard. If home is where the heart is, then a huge part of it is in Alabama right now, and will stay there until the rest of my body can join it.

By now you can understand why this year of transitions is going to be a tough one - I just said goodbye to my school home and my in-laws', at the end of the summer I will be leaving my camp and family homes, and I will be moving south to start a brand new life.

It's amazing how the heart can be pulled so many directions and continue beating! 

The one thing that brings me comfort is knowing that even though I may tell myself I am leaving a place and might never come back, the memories that I have made in all of my many "homes" will never leave me, and I will never truly be without them.