Saturday, July 14, 2012

My last unmarried trip to Alabama

Two weeks ago I was in Alabama visiting Dave for the last time before our wedding. Here are a few memories to summarize my wonderful trip:

Started off on a dumb moment. When I gave Dave the receipt for his wedding band, I accidentally showed him the surprise engraving on the inside :( I was so bummed that I ruined the surprise for him...oh well.

I was not prepared for just how hot it was going to be down south! The first couple days I could barely breathe! It was like being in a hot sauna when somebody pours water over the rocks and all of a sudden it's a struggle to breathe! Dave an I would take evening walks around the track on base, and my feet would start cooking in my shoes because the asphalt was so hot - like walking on coals even at 8pm! The good news was that it meant the pool was really warm, so Dave and I would go and stay in the water for 2 hours instead of having to get out to warm up. I got dehydrated almost every day - but I think I still prefer being warm to being freezing cold.

I made the most fantastic peach and berry cobbler one day in honor of a hospice patient I cared for. She taught me about baking, so it was a great way to celebrate her life. (Recipe in a post below)

Dave and I have a growing passion for cooking....because we love to eat good food!

Dave bought me the 2nd and 3rd Hunger Games books to read, so I finally got to do some reading for fun! I spent most mornings relaxing with a book while Dave was in class. He only had half days, so I did all my reading before lunch. :)

At the pool there was a playful bird that kept swooping down and splashing in the water right next to us - it was fearless and so cute!

We went to a 4th of July party with Dave's buddies. It was a lot of fun meeting all of the people Dave has been telling me about. They were all very friendly and welcoming, and the food was fantastic! Dave and I need to get a grill so we can have some of our own BBQs!

Dave and I parked in an empty parking lot on base to watch the fireworks so that we could beat all the crowds that had parked in the designated field. It was so worth it to not have to sit in a long line of cars!

Dave and I watched The Bucket List, and then proceeded to write our own. We made a long list of things we hope to do together throughout our lives. One of the things on our list is to try every pizza at Mellow Mushroom - the most delicious pizza place I have ever been to! We got started and tried 5 different flavors while I was down there!!


The last night I was in Alabama, Dave and I put on some music and practiced our first dance for the wedding. Nothing spectacular - mostly just shuffling around the floor together. Of course even if we look semi-pathetic out on the dance floor, everyone will see how happy we are and think it's cute!


One of the funnest moments of our trip was the drive to the airport. Usually this is a sad affair, but Dave and I had a blast videotaping us singing along to fun songs and being silly. It's so good to know we can have fun acting crazy with each other, and not take ourselves too seriously. 




49 days until I walk down the aisle and get to spend the rest of my life with Dave!