Friday, July 6, 2012

Life Lesson #2: You can't invite everybody

This post is timely, since invitations have been sent and are arriving in mailboxes around the globe...

If you ever went through an awkward middle school phase, you may have memories of being left out. Maybe you weren't welcome at the "popular" lunch table, or perhaps you always had to hear about parties and sleep overs second hand because nobody thought to invite you. Having been a bit of a dork in middle school, I can remember thinking "if it was my sleep over, I wouldn't have left anyone out." Ahhhh middle school....what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

But seriously, I really hate for people to feel left out.

So here I am throwing the biggest party I will probably ever throw in my life, my WEDDING, and I have the heart wrenching job of making the guest list. I think my least favorite part of this whole process has been realizing that I really can't invite everyone.

David and I have both lived incredibly rich and blessed lives, filled with people who care for us and would probably love to see us get married. First, you find that you have more relatives than you remembered.  Why does it seem like the words "we don't want to offend anyone" are always used when referring to distant relatives who probably don't care if they are invited, and would understand if we sent the invite to someone we actually know? Then there are neighbors, school friends, college friends, camp friends, campers, Dave's gaming buddies, deployment buddies, flight school friends, youth group and Sunday school peers, our parents' friends, the President, and of course an entire church full of people to consider. Too many!! If we had an unlimited budget we would then run into the problem of finding a venue big enough for so many people!

All that to say, if you didn't get an invitation to our wedding, please don't be offended. It hurts both of us to think of anyone being left out who truly wants to come. There are many difficult decisions in life...who knew that making a simple guest list would put me through the ringer!?