Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Tomorrow I am helping out at the Christmas party for the seniors at our local senior center. Everyone is supposed to bring a dessert or side dish. Since one of my goals has been to become more of a hostess (taking a lesson or two from all the hospitable Southerners)  I decided to bring a dish. So far the only dish I have made for a function has been my grandmother's "Fluffy Jello" recipe. It's usually a hit so I haven't had to go too far out of my kitchen comfort zone.  Today I decided to experiment with a new recipe : Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle.

Dave and I went a little crazy with the Christmas treats this year. I kid you not, we bought 5 different bags of various chocolate candies, 3 pounds of Gummie Bears, candy canes and the ingredients for cookies. We baked enough cookies for an army... even though our own little army of two would never be able to finish them off. The decorated sugar cookies are delicious, but I'm not sure we will be able to finish the two dozen gingerbread ones. This recipe gave me a reason to try two of my favorite holiday flavors,  as well as get rid of some cookies!

Here's the recipe:

Make 6oz  vanilla pudding and let cool.

Make gingerbread cookies or a gingerbread cake following instructions on the recipe

Also need a large tub of Cool Whip

Mix into pudding:
1 can pumpkin
1/3 tsp cinnamon

In a pretty, clear, dish crumble a layer of gingerbread cookies, or gingerbread cake. Pour a layer of pumpkin mixture. Spread on a layer of Cool Whip.

Repeat. The top layer should be Cool Whip and you can sprinkle ginger snap crumbs on top if you want.

Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.

I used the extra I had left over to make two tiny trifles for Dave and I to enjoy later:)