Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"...I put childish ways behind me."

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 1 Corinthians 13:11


I have been volunteering at the local senior center lately and sometimes I feel that I get more out of it than the seniors do. It's a nice chance for me to get out of the house and serve others. Last week, some women from a local church gave a small message and blessing for the seniors. I don't recall what the message was about because there was one part that really stuck to me and made me think. 

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child". 

Isn't that the truth!

I can't even count the number of silly things I have said or done as a child or young person. Just last night, Dave and I were sharing embarrassing moments, and I remembered a few that still make me cringe (For example: who tells their favorite teacher that she thinks her husband is "hott" because her friends dared her to?? Me. That's who. I still can't believe it to this day) We do silly things when we are young and can't see past the fun of the moment, or the desire to fit in with our peers, not thinking of the lasting harm to our reputations or others involved.  

"When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me"

This part really struck home. I am an adult now. I'm graduated, married, moved, and older than the young girl who did silly things. I have been thinking about the areas of life that change when you "grow up". Here are a few of my thoughts:

I had a great conversation with a friend several months ago who commiserated about the change that happens to a friendship when you grow up and get married. She had to stop letting a friend manipulate her as she had in their school days, and move into more "adult friendship".  Before then, I hadn't really put much thought into what it would mean to be friends when I became an adult, or if there would be any significant changes. I've decided that part of growing up is knowing that friendships are important, but not letting a friendship have control over your life. If it's a positive one, nurture it, but know when it's time to put distance in a relationship that isn't healthy.  It also means putting in the effort to keep up with friends, even when it's not easy or convenient. 

College ended. There's no more living a few feet away from a friend, and spending every free moment surrounded by others. I'm married now, and my husband comes first. That means sharing everything small detail with him, and not going into quite as much depth with my friends. Back in the day I remember sharing every detail of my boyfriend/girlfriend relationships with "the girls", but of course, mature husbands and wives are much more private out of respect for each other. Being an adult means also understanding that I may not get to see my friends as much as I used to. We have jobs, bills, husbands and someday children that need attention. That's why I remind myself to cherish a phone call, or thoughtful card, instead of wishing we had more time for each other. 

I've also come to the conclusion that an adult must be true to his or herself. This means that my convictions, opinions, and especially my faith, are not to be easily laid aside. There is no longer any excuse for not doing "the right thing", or saying what needs to be said. I'm past that stage where I didn't know myself and what I stood for, so it is time I stopped letting it bother me what others would say, and stick up for what is important. I remember when it was more crucial to have people like me than to do what I felt was right. Being an adult Christian means trying NOT to fit in with this sin filled world. Therefore, I am working on putting aside my childish ways and seeking approval from God.  

There is so much more I could write about this topic, but I think leaving this post on the briefer side (if I can really call it that) is better for my readers. I really love when a quote or a few lines of scripture creates in me an important inner turmoil. One that I grapple with and requires thought and growth on my part.