Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Observations from my first four months in Alabama

I've been in Alabama for almost four months now. Here are a few observations about my new life down here so far:

- I am exceedingly lucky to have this time to rest and take care of a home and husband, with no other real responsibilities.

- The dishwasher is such a wonderful invention - It completes a whole task while I work on other things!


- People take their college football SERIOUSLY down here. It's a big deal.

- A common way to describe someone who is funny is to say "she's a mess!" It's not an insult, though you'd think it would be. It just means they are a little silly or off their rocker...I think...

- No matter how many times I try to adjust my grocery list, we always seem to run out of something several different times before our main shopping trip. Of course none of these items run out at the same time! I also found out how much milk a grown man drinks - we run out just about every other day! Maybe I should just buy us a milk cow!

- A small apartment is a cozy apartment, and so easy to keep clean!

- I have grown to love the 5pm  sound of "Retreat" on base. From our apartment, I can hear the song played over the loud speaker. Everyone on base is required to stop what they are doing, pull over to the side of the road, and stand for a moment of silence as the flag is being lowered. It is a sign of respect for the flag, and for the many man and women who have fought and are still fighting for our freedom. It fills me with pride every time I hear it. There's a morning wake up at 5am where "Revielle" is played, "Retreat" at 5:30pm when the work day is over, and then "Taps" is played at 10pm before bed. When we leave, I will truly miss hearing them!

- The Commissary - Oh what an experience! It's like a regular grocery store except for two things. First, you have to have a military ID to buy anything. Second, the baggers are all "volunteers"- but the normal type of volunteer who does something out of the goodness of his or her heart, without wanting a reward. The baggers at the commissary EXPECT a tip for their services. It's always incredibly awkward because they bag your groceries and then insist on pushing your cart, unloading them into your car, and then waiting for you to fish out a few bills for a tip. If you insist that you are able to push our own cart, they will either be mad that you cheated them out of a tip, or they will follow you out to the car anyways and wait expectantly. OR if you do let them push your cart, you feel like a jerk because you are more than capable of pushing it yourself. The only solution that we have found is to buy what you can hold yourself and go through the self checkout.

- When you drive through the gate, the gate guards say "Above the best" as their greeting. Sometimes, without thinking, you find yourself replying with "you too" and then feeling embarrassed.

- Southern hospitality is not a myth! People a very friendly and welcoming down here. They are also quick to trust strangers. I was so surprised when a new friend offered that I could borrow her car while she was on vacation. Even more surprising, was being able to volunteer without an interview, background check or references.

- Army wives make good friends. We "get" each other in a way others can't, because we are experiencing the same things and feeling many of the same emotions. It is nice to feel like, right off the bat, I have something that I can relate with a new friend about. I know our friends down here with be forever friends.

- I will never get tired of folding camo and Army uniforms. It's a reminder of the honorable man I married who is serving his country and making me so proud.

- A loving husband is such a precious and dear thing to have. I don't know where I would be without Dave's love, concern, commitment and friendship. He truly is the best of the best.