Thursday, December 20, 2012

Outrunning a Tornado!

Since I will be sitting in the car for the rest of the day, I might as well blog about our adventurous morning.

Today is Dave's first official day of leave. We celebrated the start of his break last night with steaks and staying up way too late. This morning we were super lazy and didn't want to leave our cozy bed. I was a little disappointed that we would be getting a late start and likely be driving in the dark on our way to Disney World.

When I checked my phone, I found a text from my cousin asking if we were okay because there was a tornado in our area. We checked the radar and decided it looked serious enough that we should get out quickly. I panicked a little at first because I am terrified of tornadoes, but Dave calmed me down and suddenly our lazy morning turned into a turbo charged race. We packed in a matter of minutes. I threw a bunch of food in a bag for our breakfast, we jumped into the Jeep, prayed, and hit the road!

Our first hour was really dicey, as the wind was blowing the Jeep around. Dave went through our emergency procedures that we would need to follow if the storm caught up to us. He is so good at knowing what to do in emergencies and keeping me prepared!

Right now the worst is behind us. The wind is still fighting against Dave's control of the Jeep, but the sky is clear ahead. The most interesting sight I've seen on our trip was the little cotton balls that flew off their plants and lined the road.

I'm actually navigating! Usually I stick to a GPS, but Dave is making me use the map to get us east of the storm, but still tracking towards our destination.

Besides the added adventure, I am really happy that we were forced to leave a few hours earlier than planned. I'd like to get this drive over with so we can enjoy our time in Orlando!