Monday, December 24, 2012

Our Mini Disney Vacation


Dave and I had a wonderful mini vacation in Disney!

Thursday night we arrived tired and in need of some relaxation. Thankfully our hotel room ( a discounted luxury room we found by chance online) was a mini paradise. We ordered room service and slept very soundly.

Unlike most Disney tourists, we didn't get an early start Friday morning. In fact, we didn't want to get out of bed and almost skipped out on seeing a park. We finally talked ourselves into going and dragged ourselves out of bed.

It was freezing thanks to the cold front that had just come through, so we were actually thankful we didn't arrive till noon at Magic Kingdom. We got our picture with the castle and walked around for a few hours. While we enjoyed seeing the park, it will probably be more exciting someday when we bring children (ahh!) who will appreciate the more age appropriate rides. We were absolutely exhausted after  4 hours and  went back to nap. The highlight of Friday was going to visit my college friend for dinner and catching up at her place. I can't help feeling grown up visiting college friends in the real world haha.

Saturday we met my parents and went to Epcot. We walked around and went on the rides that had short wait times. It was sad that the rides were a lot less exciting than I remember. I don't think we are real "Disney People", and by that I mean that we definitely aren't the die hard fans that go all day, every day for a week and do every single attraction. We walked around, looked at the cool buildings, did some people watching,  and eventually decided we were too tired to continue.  Dave and I ordered room service for the four of us and we watched a movie- barely able to stay awake.

Sunday was my favorite day. After a room service breakfast ( our new favorite thing), we walked around an outdoor mall for a bit. Then we went for the traditional German "coffee and cake" with my father's aunt, Tante Maria and family. Tante (aunt) Maria is my Opa's sister. She looked so similar and reminded me so much of him I got a little teary-eyed missing my deceased Opa. Her daughters and their families joined us. I hadn't seen them all for maybe ten years but it could have been just yesterday! We felt so welcome and loved, and Dave and I were honored by the toast they did for us because they couldn't make the wedding. Family is such a precious thing; I didn't want to leave.

Mom and Dad took us out for dinner and we had a great time catching up. Last time they saw Dave was our wedding, and I know they were happy to see their beloved son-in-law. It's so different being married and going out with my parents as two couples- i love it! We did a mini Christmas celebration before bed.

We said our goodbyes Monday morning and started our long ride home. The Jeep is definitely not the car of choice for road trips. It was so loud I could literally sing to myself and not hear anything. After a day of sitting in silence we were psyched to be home! So long Disney! See you in about 15 years!