Monday, May 25, 2015

Garden update #1

So... Gardening is not very easy I've discovered. At least not for me. It's been less than 48 hrs and our plants look very sad, despite Dave and I giving them the attention we would give a new born baby. ("How do you think they are doing?" "No they prefer to be watered like this." "I think they've grown already!" "What's wrong with that leaf?")

We've learned a few things:
1. When planting for the first time, do some reading- books, the instructions on the fertilizer etc... We were so excited we planted our vegetables right away without doing much planning. It remains to be seen if the plants will survive.

2. Don't transplant your fragile young vegetables into a garden on the hottest day of the year, at mid day, and then leave them in the scorching sun, on the black top, to fry. (Wow, that should have been common sense.)

Thank goodness for mothers and sisters and sister-in-laws that have green thumbs. I unfortunately, was born with a grey thumb. I have often joked that I'm the hospice of gardeners- where plants go to die. But I'm working on it! I'm determined to keep my garden alive!  

3. Fertilizer often = poop. We found this organic fertilizer that we mixed in (we winged it, again, we didn't read the instructions). It looked dry and sort of pellet-y when we scooped it out of the bag, but once watered, it reconstituted itself as poop. And it stinks. And the flies have arrived. And we discovered that our drainage holes work as there is now liquid poop pooling on the floor of our garage that now smells like the sewer. What a pleasant surprise!


At the advice of others we have moved our plants to the grassy/stone area in our yard that will be much cooler than the pavement. Hope it works! Hope they are still alive in the morning!